August 31, 2015

Blog Hoppin' Teacher Week: 5 Fun Facts

I'm excited to be participating in this year's teacher week by Blog Hoppin'. Each day I'll post about the day's topic and it it to their blog hop. Today's topic is 5 Fun Facts. Keep reading to read 5 Fun Facts about me!

I follow Blog Hoppin' on instagram and thought it would be fun to participate! It seems like a great way to get to know our virtual teacher friends. Ok so here are my 5 Fun Facts about me!


1. I am a huge sports fan! 
You might not think so since I'm such a girlie girl, love make up, and dressing up, but I totally love sports. I was a total jock in school. I played volleyball, ran track, cross country, but my absolute favorite sport to play was basketball. I lettered in basketball my junior year and was so proud of myself (I also lettered that year for choir too!). I would wear that letterman jacket almost every day! Anyway, my favorite basketball team is the San Antonio Spurs. I was born in San Antonio and almost my whole family lives there. Even though we moved to a town near Houston when I was 12, I never became a Houston Rocket's fan. I always loved the Spurs. My dad passed down my love for the sport and now I've passed it down to my girls. My husband hates the fact that they're Spurs fans and not Rocket fans! (evil laugh) I also love watching football. My favorite professional team is the Dallas Cowboys, but I love watching college football the most. My favorite team is the Texas Longhorns. I am also a HUGE boxing fan. My husband and I love it so much that we went to a boxing match for our honeymoon! Front row tickets and everything! It was fun to watch ourselves on HBO Boxing After Dark on TV! One of my best birthdays for me was when I went to the International Reading Association conference in San Antonio and one of my favorite boxers, Miguel Cotto, was staying in the same hotel! He was nice enough to get on the elevator so I could take a picture with him. He will be fighting in November so I'm excited for his upcoming fight.

At the Spurs game, Spring Break 2014

With Miguel Cotto in 2013
2. I am a teen parent.
I had our first daughter when I was 17 and a senior in high school. Although it was something that was very difficult, I don't regret my choice to have my daughter. I know that I was put on this Earth to be her mother. I hope that she always knows how much she means to me. Now that she is a teenage, I hope that I have done a good enough job teaching her to make the best possible choices for herself and for her future children. I also hope that I can be an example to other teenage parents out there. Not many other children born to teen parents have two parents who earned college degrees like my daughters do. Only 2% of teen moms graduate with a college degree by the age of 30. I made it my personal mission not to be a part of this statistic. I graduated with honors from high school on time and with my class, I earned my bachelors degree in teaching, and about 3 weeks after my 30th birthday I walked the stage to receive my master's degree. I wanted my girls to see that no matter what, education is important and if you work hard, you can accomplish anything.
3. I was in choir growing up.
 I moved from San Antonio when I was 12 and started 6th grade in a new town. I remember being registered into general music. I got to class the first day of school and the music teacher gets each of us to sing. He asked me if I had ever thought about being in choir because I had a good voice. I never had thought about it, but I decided to join anyway. This choice completely changed my life! I had some of the best times in choir. I earned medals, but most importantly I met my 2 best friends in the entire world. They are like sisters to me and my girls love them!

4. My favorite colors are black and white.
This probably isn't a huge shocker since you're on my blog and can see that my background is black and white stripes, and also my blog button has black and white stripes! Ha I try to incorporate colors into my wardrobe, but I can't help but gravitate to black and white. Somehow one or both of the colors end up in what I'm wearing. My daughter says I'm emo, but I don't think so. I just like basic, classic colors. That's what I am, I'm classy! 
5. I have grey hair, lots of it!
If you could see my dad and his side of the family, you would know why I have so much grey hair! Luckily I dye my hair often to keep up with the red so no one ever sees it. Thank goodness for box color! Oh and my kids are great reminders for when I have to dye my roots.
I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a little better. I'll be back tomorrow to post Tuesday's Blog Hoppin' Topic. If you want to learn more about Blog Hoppin's Teacher Week 2015, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment